Monday 21 June 2010

Learning to skate!

A few weeks ago I found a website offering inline skating classes in London. I decided to face my fears and sign up for a four week beginners course. I had no idea what to expect. Instead of spending time worrying about it I just went to see what the first lesson would turn out to be like.

It was rather scary at the beginning. I felt like I had no control over the movements under my feet and had no idea what I should be doing. However, the instructors were extremly helpful. Firstly I was shown how to put on the inline skates and the protective gear. The second step was helping me on my feet. Kneeling, with only one knee on the floor, both hands on the bent knee and leaning forward I pushed myself up. It sounds so simple. Let me tell you how daunting it can be. I had no idea whether to lean forward or back. Slowly I did a bit of a duck walk. My feet pointing outwards in a V-format. One step at a time. Then gradually the first strides started.

The lesson focused on how to fall safely, how to do a simple stride and doing an A-format glide.

By the end of the two hour lesson my arches in my feet were aching and I was utterly exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment