Friday 8 January 2010

101 Reasons why I love London


In celebration of keeping my head above the post holiday blues I've decided to start a series on "101 Reasons why I love London".

101 Reasons to live in London:

Reason 1: London has public transport system

When you read this you might just roll your eyes comically, laugh it off and disagree with me. Let me explain why I'm seriously using this as one of my reasons for loving London. London's underground might not be the most modern public transport system, however it is an affordable, safe method of getting around London.

If everyone had to drive to work with a car or bicycle not only would we never hear the famously annoying phrase 'Mind the Gap' but we would be broke and crazy paying for fuel, congestion charge and parking. We would be stuck in traffic on the narrow roads even longer and never have the privilege of staying on the tube just listening to our ipods, reading a book or having a peaceful thought processing time without having to concentrate on the road.

I can appreciate that I have can see who lives in London. What I mean by this is when we're in a city where the main transportation method is cars we don't actually know who lives in our city. You might meet people in your circle of friends, your workplace or wherever you might habitually visit but travelling in the tube you get a firm understanding of the city's residents.

I've often spotted friends, work collegues and even former university pals that I didn't even know where in this country on the underground. Many conversations were struck up, jokes were shared and I've even heard of romantic relationships that have started on trains.

The next time you're squashed in the underground in peak traffic and think you can't help but feel like a sardine in a food can maybe it's time to laugh it off and imagine yourself a lucky fish- you might just be standing next to a potential friend or someone who might turn into something more...

No comments:

Post a Comment